Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Mom's Apple Pie


It is this cold and damp weather that makes me think of crock pot meals and my mom's epic Apple pie! I can just taste it, warm out of the oven and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! She had this large ceramic Apple pie dish that I still have and use. I'm sure some of you have seen them. I included the homemade Pir crust recipe too, I have to have the perfect crust! I don't know about anyone else but I do know what is for dessert tonight at my house 😊

Please Enjoy ~ Eat4Self

Mom's Apple Pie

3 lbs apples (Empire/Cortland)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 farm fresh egg

Line pie pan with half crust and coat bottom with flour. Mix sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cut butter into pea size pieces. Place sliced apples into large bowl and coat with sugar mixture and butter pieces. Pour all contents into pie pan and cover with the other half of pie crust. Cut slits in several places and pinch down the edges. Brush top of pie crust with beaten egg white. 

Heat oven to 375 and bake for 25 minutes
Bake another 25 minutes until golden brown.




Homemade Pie Crust

3 3/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon flour
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup cold water

Mix flour, salt, and shortening.
Add water and knead into two rounds of dough. (2 pie crusts)
Add more water if dry.
Roll out on floured surface.






No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my site! Please a comment and your email.